Rare Books Collection
Guidelines for Using the Rare Books Collection
- The Rare Book collection is for use only under the supervision of library staff. It cannot be browsed, library staff will retrieve requested item(s) for you. You need to present a completed Rare Books/Special Collections Registration and complete the Request Form online. You will also need to present a photo ID to the reference librarian on staff once you arrive for your appointment.
- The number of books or manuscript boxes that may be used at any one time is limited, and at the discretion of library staff.
- Food and drinks are prohibited in the consultation area. All bags and other personal effects (including cell phones) must be left with the reference librarian. You may bring your laptop; electrical outlets are available.
- Materials must be handled with extreme care. In some cases, the reference librarian may need to handle the item for you.
- Books and manuscripts must be returned to the librarian on duty when you leave the room.
- Reproduction services are available at a charge. Please consult a member of the reference or Archives staff for pricing and other details. Please note that many items in the collection are too fragile for reproduction.