Vision, Mission & Values
Mission Statement of The Jewish Public Library
For more than 100 years, the Jewish Public Library has been a celebrated fixture of the Montreal community and cultural life. The JPL promotes academic and cultural excellence in a warm and accessible space where knowledge and information are shared in multiple formats. Through our Main Library, our Children’s Library, our world renowned Archives, our Cultural Programming for adults and children, and our Multimedia Centre, we connect every demographic of our diverse community to the world – while bringing the world to our community.
The JPL is a unique fusion of a neighbourhood library and a specialized Judaica collection.
The Jewish Public Library exists to inspire Jewish learning and to promote literacy and creativity. We provide access to historical and cultural heritage, Jewish literature and knowledge through our collections, Archives, cultural programming and children’s library.
Known by and open to all, we are a hub for Jewish culture, lifelong learning, literature and the arts, cultivating imagination, dialogue and creativity.
- Excellence: Deliver and be recognized for the quality of our programs and services.
- Integrity: Exhibit transparency and accountability in all that we do.
- Diversity: Celebrate the richness and respect the pluralism of the Jewish community and of the Canadian mosaic.
- Discovery: Inspire a love of reading, exploration, critical thinking, and creativity.
- Accessibility: Provide physical and digital access to our services and ensure effective communication of our vision and offerings.
- Collaboration: Serve the diversity of the Jewish community by fostering partnerships and engaging with other organizations and communities