An independent community library, the Jewish Public Library and Archives is an affiliated agency of Federation CJA. Together with the
- Sylvan-Adams YM-YWHA
- Segal Center for Performing Arts
- Cummings Center for Seniors
- Montreal Holocaust Museum
- Bronfman Jewish Education Center (BJEC)
- Camp B’Nai Brith (CBB)
- Communauté sépharade unifiée du Québec (CSUQ)
- Project Genesis
- JEM Workshop
- GenMTL (including PJ Library)
JPL Montreal benefits from the strength of Federation’s Community Campaign.
Schools, particularly those in the Jewish Day School system, benefit from our free membership to students in grade 7 and 11. Whether it is entering their first year of high school or graduating from it, we love to celebrate success. Year round, the JPL runs programs and workshops with
- Les écoles Azrieli Schools UTT-Herzliah
- Akiva School
- Hebrew Academy
- Solomon Schechter Academy
- Sacred Heart School
- Lower Canada College
- The Donald Berman Yaldei Development Centre
- Merton School
We also bring workshops to Jewish after school programs and Jewish life extracurricular programs. The JPL also runs the annual MTLYA!Fest as a celebration of writing for young adults. Programming includes author visits, Rare Book Workshops, M’Dor le Dor, primary source workshops, genealogical workshops and more.
Daycares from the area visit our drop-in storytimes to begin early literacy for the children in their care. Many borrow books for their classrooms.
Synagogues of diverse denominations collaborate and partner with us on speaker series and celebrations, bringing programming and Jewish education. Furthermore, we offer free memberships through synagogues in honour of Bar and Bat Mitzvah celebrations.
Museums and other archives have partnered with the library on a multitude of exhibits and programs through our archival collection. Most recently,
- Pointe-a-Callière Museum
- McCord Museum
- Yiddish Book Centre
- and our ongoing partners, the Museum of Jewish Montreal
Community Centers, archives and other libraries are another venue for partnerships for our library.
- Centre Communautaire de Loisir de la Cote-Des-Neiges
- Benny Library
- Bibliotheque Interculturelle
- Fraser Hickson Library
- Bibliotheque et Archives Nationales du Quebec (BANQ)
- Alex Dworkin Canadian Jewish Archives
- Library and Archives Canada (LAC)
The JPL is also proud to be a member of the following associations and organizations:
We are proud to work in conjunction with agencies and institutions throughout Montreal, Quebec, Canada and abroad. If your organization is looking to become a partner, please contact us at [email protected]