Mission, Vision & Values
The Jewish Public Library (“JPL”) supports literacy, education and the well-being of our diverse communities.
Through its Main Library, children’s, young adult collections, and its programmes, the JPL provides access to information and knowledge, literature and Judaica, both in person and virtually.
Through its Archives, it sustains, protects, and enables research about the Montreal Jewish Communities’ historical and cultural heritages.
The Jewish Public Library is a locally and globally accessible resource for sharing Jewish cultures, history and literature.
The JPL advances learning, research and discovery in a warm and inclusive environment.
The JPL is recognized as a unique and valued contributor to the quality of life for the communities that it serves.
- Excellence: Deliver and be recognized for the quality of our programs and services.
- Integrity: Exhibit transparency and accountability in all that we do.
- Diversity: Celebrate the richness and respect the pluralism of the Jewish community and of the Canadian mosaic.
- Discovery: Inspire a love of reading, exploration, critical thinking, and creativity.
- Accessibility: Provide physical and digital access to our services and ensure effective communication of our vision and offerings.
- Collaboration: Serve the diversity of the Jewish community by fostering partnerships and engaging with other organizations and communities
The Jewish Public Library is situated on the traditional territory of the Kanien’kehá:ka people. The land was also a meeting place for many Indigenous nations.
This land has been the site of exchange, creativity, and story telling for thousands of years. We are grateful to be able to cultivate life-long learning, imagination, dialogue and creativity here.